Monday, December 5, 2011

Home Made by Yvette Van Boven

I'm a sucker for cute fonts.  Does that sound weird?  I guess it kind of is.  I think it's just that I like words, and I also like cute things, so words that look cute make for a winning combination!  If you are still feeling skeptical, I invite you to take a look at the movie Juno.  Would that movie have been nearly as delightful without all the interludes of artistic doodley fonts informing the watcher what season it is in a certain scene or what trimester Juno is currently in or whatever?  I think not!  But now even I can tell I'm just not making any sense.  Let's move on.  As I wasted valuable hours of my life shopping online for apartment things that I do not need and cannot afford, the super cute font/cover of this cookbook attracted my eyeballs.
And, yes, ok, basing a desire for a cookbook, or for anything really, off of its initial appearance is generally not the best idea.  I apologize for my shallowness.  But the more I learn and hear about Home Made, the more I want it and looove it!  The author, Yvette Van Boven, is an illustrator, food stylist, and recipe writer from Amsterdam.  The book is all about learning to make everything on your own from kitchen staples--it includes instructions on how to make things like an oven smoker, cheese, ice cream without an ice cream maker, and so on and so forth.  Then it tells you how to utilize these basics for the recipes in the book(complete with what I can only imagine are totally adorable illustrations and possibly even, dare I imagine, cute fonts).  I must check this out!

Also.  This is a little bit hilarious.
And CATS.

No comments:

Post a Comment