Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fig, Pistachio, and Gorgonzola Crostinis

I'm a morning person.  I love waking up at the crack of dawn to putter around my kitchen.  After I engage in some light puttering, I work on some homework. Then I go to yoga class.  Then I come home and do more homework and maybe watch some New Girl.  My morning routine is pretty important to me.  If I skip any part of this routine, I sometimes feel like my whole day is shot.  I'm in a really bad mood and I can't concentrate.  I think maybe that's not normal, maybe I'm just weird--I don't know! Anyway, there is one thing that always happens at yoga, every day.  The instructor informs us all that it's important to keep a balance, in yoga and in life.  I think this is actually really good advice, and it's sort of become part of my morning routine to hear it.  Keeping the balance in yoga is hard.  You might fall on your face while attempting a headstand or scorpion pose.  Keeping the balance in life is harder.  


These crostinis are sort of like the yogis of the snack world--they have that all important balance between sweet and salty.  The figs will satisfy your sweet craving, while the pistachios pack a salty punch!  They're a pretty easy snack to make.  They are also pretty easy to snack on...until every single one is gone.  This is a serious problem with tiny, bite size food.  But, I digress. 


First, you'll cut the figs lengthwise into slices.  Then, shell the pistachios and blanche them in some boiling water for just 15 or 30 seconds--this will make them super easy to peel.  Peel off the skin so they become a bright green color.  Then throw them in the oven for just a few minutes, maybe five, at 400 degrees to make them taste nutty and crunchy. While that's happening, you'll make a quick balsamic reduction.  I made mine with a little agave nectar to make it a bit sweeter, but adding some honey would do the job too. Cut some bread into 2x2 inch squares and toast it up!  Sprinkle the pistachios, gorgonzola, and figs over the bread.  Then drizzle the balsamic reduction over everything, and viola! Tiny yogi snacks!  And maybe once your sweet and salty cravings are satisfied, you'll achieve the inner balance you need to do the perfect headstand!

No comments:

Post a Comment